Even though DuckTales was nominated for 6 out of the 8 awards, it didn't win anything. As for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 4 of its 6 nominations were listed in the "Best Character" category: one for each Turtle.
Winners and Nominees
The following is the list of winners and nominees.
|Best Graphics and Sound|
|Best Theme, Fun|
|Best Play Control|
|Best Player vs. Player|
Total number of nominations
The following lists the number of nominations for each game.
- Mega Man 2 - 7 nominations
- DuckTales - 6 nominations
- Ninja Gaiden - 6 nominations
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 6 nominations
- The Guardian Legend - 3 nominations
- Stealth ATF - 3 nominations
- Tetris - 3 nominations
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 3 nominations
- Dragon Warrior - 2 nominations
- Faxanadu - 2 nominations
- Adventures of Lolo - 1 nomination
- Baseball Stars - 1 nomination
- Fester's Quest - 1 nomination
- Godzilla - 1 nomination
- Hoops - 1 nomination
- Marble Madness - 1 nomination
- Strider - 1 nomination
- Super Dodgeball - 1 nomination
- Tecmo Bowl - 1 nomination
Total number of awards
The following lists the number of awards for each game.
- Mega Man 2 - 2 awards
- Ninja Gaiden - 2 awards
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 2 awards
- Tecmo Bowl - 1 award
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 1 award
Readers of the magazine were presented with the list of nominees in Nintendo Power volume 11. It was a time before the internet, so votes had to be cast by sending in the postcard that was included within the pages of the magazine. The votes were then tallied and announced in the pages of Nintendo Power volume 12.
- These Awards were also known as the "Nester Awards", or simply just the "Nesters".
- Even though Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was included in the previous awards, it still made an appearance in this one. Because of that, the game won "Best Character" two years in a row.
- It was a time before the internet, so votes had to be cast by mailing in the postcard that was included within the pages of the magazine.