Chain Chomp's art work from Mario Party 8
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3|
|Created by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
Chain Chomps are enemies in the Mario series that first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. They're enemies that are chained up, though nevertheless are capable of attacking you if you happen to be within a certain range of them. This can easily be avoidable, though can also be a challenge in later games such as Super Mario 64 where they've dramatically grown.
In Super Mario 64, they'd, like in previous games, be chained up, though could be released if you're able to ground pound the pole that they're attached to.
They also appeared in Super Mario Sunshine, where they'd be covered with steaming goop. In this mission, Mario and F.L.U.D.D. would have to clean all of this junk off of them, which in turn would cool the beasts down.
In a way they resemble dogs, and are, according to Shigeru Miyamoto, inspired by an event that occurred in his life when he was a child. Apparently a large dog chased after him, though was yanked back by his chain.
The German translation of Chain Chomp is "Kettenhund" which means "Chain-Dog".
Chain Chomp variants
- Chomp: A loose chain chomp.
- Shromp: The Shroob's version of a Chomp.
- Big Chain Chomp: A giant invincible Chomp.
- Chomp Pup : Tiny versions of Chomps. They can be found rolling around in places like the first planet in Sky Station Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Stone Chomp : These kinds of Chomps appear in Dry Dry Ruins in Paper Mario. Like their name says, these kind of Chomp is made of stone, and have a tan color.
- Chomp Country: The two Red Chomps Ranked #2 in the Glitz Pit.
- Nibbles : The Chain Chomp fish in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door that bites you if you fall in the water.
- Chain Chawful: Fawful's version of a Chain Chomp, with a swirly eyes and a Fawful head sticking out of the top.
- Chain Chomplets: Chain Chomps with dog bodies that appear in Super Mario Sunshine.
- Bow-Wow appears in The Legend of Zelda series and functions as an ally who eats any enemy who stands in Link's way.
- Shigeru Miyamoto came up with the idea for the Chain Chomp because as a child, his neighbor's dog tried to attack him, but he was lucky because it was chained to a wooden pole.
|Major villains||Donkey Kong | Bowser | Foreman Spike | Wart | Ludwig von Koopa | Lemmy Koopa | Roy Koopa | Iggy Koopa | Wendy O. Koopa | Morton Koopa Jr. | Larry Koopa | Tatanga | Virus | Wario | Kamek | Baby Bowser | Smithy | Big Bob-omb | Waluigi | King Boo | Shadow Mario | Petey Piranha | Bowser Jr. | Cackletta | Fawful | Antasma | Sir Grodus | Lord Crump | Shadow Queen | Princess Shroob | Count Bleck | Dimentio | Pom Pom | Boom Boom | Bowser Soul | Topper | Harriet | Rango | Spewart | Madame Broode|
|Minor villains||Blooper | Bob-omb | Boo | Bullet Bill | Buzzy Beetle | Chain Chomp | Cheep Cheep | Dry Bones | Goomba | Hammer Bros. | Koopa Paratroopa | Koopa Troopa | Lakitu | Magikoopa | Monty Mole | Ninji | Piranha Plant | Pokey | Shroob | Shy Guy | Snifit | Spiny | Thwomp | Whomp | Wiggler|