|ESRB PEGI CERO USK ACB|
Gradius is the arcade video game develop and published by Konami. Originally released for the arcades in 1985 later the game was ported to other gaming platforms such as the NES/Famicom, the PC-Engine, and the MSX. It's an horizontal shoot-em'up and the first in the Gradius series. Both the NES/Famicom and TurboGrafx-16/PC-Enigne versions were re-released for the Wii, 3DS, Wii U Virtual Console.
The planet Gradius is invaded by the Bacterion Empire, the trans-dimensional starfighter "Vic-Viper" (Named "Warp Rattler" in the American localization..) is send on a counter-attack to destroy the "Xaerous Space-Fortress.", home of the invader.
A unique feature of Gradius is the power-up system. In the bottom of the screen, there is a bar with the multiple amelioration, collecting an capsule (which can be gained by either destroying a formation of enemy or destroying orange-colored enemy) will highlight the first option: Speed Up, which boost the speed of the ship. The player can either choose to activate it, reverting the Power-up bar to its original, non-highlighted state, or picking-up another capsule and spend it on the next option: a missile. The power-up are: Speed Up, Missile, "Double" (A second shot at a 45-degree angle.), an armor-piercing laser, two "Option" (Drone that mimic the player movement and firepower.) and a shield. Double and Laser can't be activated at the same time, it's either one or the other. Another type of power-up is the blue capsule, which destroy every weak-enemy and shot on the screen.
- Famicom Version at Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Verion at Hudson Soft Virtual Console page (Japan)
- Famicom Version at Nintendo's 3DS Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Verison at Nintendo's 3DS Virtual Console page (Japan)
- Famicom Verison at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Version at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)
- MSX Version at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)