|Joe & Mac|
North American box art
|Developer(s)|| Data East (Arcade & SNES)|
|Publisher(s)|| Data East (Japan & North America Arcade & Nintendo console versions)|
Elite Systems (Europe all versions)
A band of greedy Neanderthals has taken all the Cavewomen. It is up to Joe and Mac to rescue them by facing through many angry animals (such as Ichthyosaurs, a T-rex, or an Elasmosaurus).
The gameplay of very similar to Super Mario Bros., but Joe (the green haired Caveman) and Mac (the blue haired Caveman) are given unlimited weapons to throw. If Joe or Mac dies, one of them will lose their weapon. Every stage (excluding the Game Boy version) ends with a boss fight.
- Joe or Mac gets hungry after a few seconds.
- There are two choices to choose (Path A or Path B).
- Baby T-rexes act like bosses. The Baby Rexes also got increased during boss fights with similar to an Adult T-Rex.
- The feature where enemies and bosses become exaggerated is removed, making the game more difficult.
- There are two Serpents, as there is one in the arcade version.
- There is a red Pterodactyl as a boss.
- The Heart Devil replaces the Mutated Caveman. He has two phases unlike the Mutated Caveman.
- The Mutated Caveman doesn't appear.
- The Volcano Grasslands is the first level. Joe and Mac fight through enemies, such as Neanderthals, Pteranodons, and a giant T-Rex.
- The Tyrant Forest is the second level. Enemies here include Mandrakes and Electric Catfish. The boss here is a Giant Mandrake.
- The Stinger Treetops is the third level. Beehives are in the area, so Joe and Mac must be extremely careful. The boss here is a Giant Pteranodon.
- The Log Ride is the fourth level. There are many Water Streams, which slow down Joe and Mac. The bosses here is a pod of angry Ichthyosaurs.
- The Waterfall is the fifth level. Joe and Mac are carried by Pteranodons. They must avoid the rocks that fall. The boss here is an Elasmosaurus.
- The Plesiosaur Ride is the sixth level. Joe and Mac are riding on Plesiosaurs. They encounter dangerous enemies such as Piranhas, Pteranodons, and Archaeopteryxes in here. The boss here is an Elasmosaurus.
- The Volcano Outlands is the seventh level. Joe and Mac are facing dangers now, because of many types such as a Black Serpent or an Ankylosaurus.
- The Rocky Cliffs is the eighth level. There are tons of rocks here. The boss here is a Giant Pteranodon.
- The Jewel Cave is the ninth level. The boss here is an angry Giant Mammoth.
- The Dinosaur Graveyard is the tenth level. The level here is much harder, as there are Archaeopteryxes. The boss here is a giant Skeleton Brontosaurus.
- The Dark Outlands is the final location. Enemies here include Gallimimuses, Archaeopteryx among others. The boss here is a giant Red Serpent.
- The Serpent's Heart is the inside and the Boss Location. The inhabitants here are Pteranodons, a Mutated Caveman, and the Heart Devil.
- Weapons - There are six types: Boomerang, Hammer, Thunder, Stone Money, Bone, and Fire. The Boomerang will ricochet after a toss. The Bone will cause little damage. The Hammer will also cause little damage. The Fire can burn enemies altogether. The Stone Money is the best weapon in the game. Thunder is also the best.
- Food - Food will replenish Joe and Mac's health.
- Eggs - An Egg will contain different types: a Food, a Weapon, or a Pterodactyl.
- Neanderthals - Neanderthals are common enemies in the game. They attempt to throw rocks, ride planes, drop bombs, hide in bushes, or carry eggs in the game. They can also attack with their clubs.
- Pteranodons - Pteranodons will try to swoop at Joe and Mac.
- Rocks - Rolling Rocks are the annoying enemies in the game.
- Baby T-rexes - These will try to eat Joe and Mac.
- Mandrake - A Mandrake can be annoying in the player's path.
- Electric Catfish- An Electric Catfish can be annoying. They are very weak.
- Bees - Bees are released from beehives.
- Beehives - Beehives must be cleared in order to proceed.
- Archaeopteryxes- Archaeopteryxes will shoot feathers to slow down Joe and Mac.
- Piranhas - A Piranha will jump out of the water to attack Joe and Mac. They are also spawned from the Elasmosaurus.
- Gallimimuses - A Gallimimus is much aggressive than a Baby T-rex.
- Centipedes - A Centipede is spawned during the battle of the Mutated Caveman.
- Giant T-Rex - The Giant T-Rex is very simple. Its throat is its weakness.
- Giant Mandrake - The Giant Mandrake attacks by using its vines or spewing Mandrakes. The best weapon to use is the Stone Money.
- Giant Pteranodon - The Giant Pteranodon attacks by swooping or throwing Pteranodon Eggs.
- Ichthyosaurs - A swarm of Ichthyosaurs is attacking. The best weapon to use is Thunder.
- Elasmosaurus - The Elasmosaurus attacks by charging, spitting water, or spewing Piranhas.
- Serpent - A Serpent will spew enemies from its mouth. Its throat is its weakness.
- Ankylosaur - The Ankylosaur will roll in the arena and throw spike balls. It takes damage when it's not rolling.
- Giant Mammoth - The Giant Mammoth attacks by lobbing Rocks or causing falling rocks. Its face is its weakness.
- Skeletal Brontosaurus - The Skeletal Brontosaurus attacks by spawning miniature versions. Its fragments collapses into pieces for hitting it. Joe and Mac must avoid the pieces and then hit its head.
- Mutated Caveman - The Mutated Caveman attacks by spewing Centipedes. The Heart deals more damage, because he is much tougher.
- Heart Devil - The Heart Devil has two phases. The first phase is when he spits out fireballs and then trying to pierce Joe and Mac. He also clones Mac or Joe. The second phase is much harder. He throws fire rings to make it a shape of a triangle. He also throws fireballs or create fire columns. He can morph or throw fire rings. He's only vulnerable when he's not flashing.
- Serpent's Heart - The Serpent's Heart spews many sorts of creatures. Joe and Mac must defeat all the creatures.
- Joe and Mac also appear in a German Mario comic.