Kid Icarus (JP) (reffered to as Palutena by Japanese fans) is series of action/platforming franchise of video games published by Nintendo.
The game is set in Angel Land, a realm of gods and goddesses inspired by Greek mythology. The main character is Pit, an angel and guardian to the goddess of light, Palutena. Pit battles Medusa, the goddess of darkness, and the forces of the Underworld.
The game received generally mixed reviews, but has gained a considerable cult following over the years, partly due to it's harsh difficulty and somewhat quirky characters and enemies such as the Eggplant Wizard. In 1989, Pit joined the cast of the Saturday morning cartoon show Captain N: The Game Master.
In 1991 a second game was released on the Game Boy, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. The game continued the 2D play style of it's predecessor and was generally well received. Oddly, the game was never released in Japan.
This would be the last Kid Icarus game for 21 years. Pit made several cameo appearances in games such as Tetris, Kirby Super Star, Super Smash Bros. Melee, WarioWare Twisted! and WarioWare: Smooth Moves before finally appearing as a playable character in 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii. Pit received a visual upgrade and introduced new moves and abilities. After this appearance, interest in the series grew and in 2010 a third game was announced. Kid Icarus: Uprising was released in March 2012 for the Nintendo 3DS handheld system. The game pushed the Kid Icarus play style into a 3-D world, and gave Pit a slew of new weapons and abilities. Uprising sold considerably well in it's first few months, and was positively reviewed by critics receiving an 83 out of 100 on Metacritic .
- Kid Icarus - 1986 - NES
- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters - 1991 - Game Boy
- Kid Icarus: Uprising - 2012 - Nintendo 3DS
Rereleases & Remakes
- Kid Icarus - 2004 - Game Boy Advance, Japanese only rerelease
- Kid Icarus - 2007 - Virtual Console (Wii), rerelease
- 3D Classics: Kid Icarus - 2012 - Nintendo 3DS, remake
- Tetris - 1986 - NES, cameo
- F-1 Race - 1990 - Game Boy, cameo
- Kirby Super Star - 1996 - SNES, cameo
- Super Smash Bros. Melee - 2001 - GameCube, cameo
- WarioWare Twisted! - 2004 - Game Boy Advance, cameo
- Electroplankton - 2005 - Nintendo DS, cameo
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 2006 - Wii, cameo
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2008 - Wii, Pit as playable character
- NES Remix 2
- Super Smash Bros. - 2014 - Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena as playable characters
In other media
- Icaruspedia - A Kid Icarus Wiki