| King Hippo|
King Hippo as he appears in Punch-Out!! (Wii)
|Games|| Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!|
|Ranking||18 win, 9 losses, 18 KO|
|Birth place||Hippo Island, South Pacific|
King Hippo first appeared on the 1987 Nintendo Entertainment System game Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, as the second competitor in the Major Circuit. According to Nintendo's Punch-Out! game Manual, Hippo is apparently a tropical chief who has a secret weak point.
In Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! King Hippo is truly the most unique character of the Video Boxing Association, also noting that he is the only character that does not have a palette swap. His defense is impenetrable until he opens his mouth. When his mouth is hit, Hippo reveals his one weakness: his too-large trunks start falling down, and he has to keep pulling them up whilst trying to fend off Little Mac's gut jabs. Once Little Mac floors King Hippo, he doesn't get up.
King Hippo makes a return to gaming with the release of Punch-Out!! Wii for the Wii, this time as the champion of the Minor Circuit. His dialogue this time around consists of beastial growls and roars.
In his contender mode fight in the Wii version, he attacks and is attacked basically the same way as his NES fight; he still won't get up after his first knockdown. However, in his title defense fight, he wears a manhole cover on his stomach, which is held on by three pieces of tape that the player must break, after which the fight will continue as the first one did.
King Hippo also gained fame on the NBC Saturday morning cartoon Captain N: The Game Master, which ran 34 episodes from 1989 until 1991. In the cartoon Hippo starred as one of Mother Brain's top henchmen. Strangely, he appears with blue skin, and was often paired in a comedic duo with Kid Icarus enemy Eggplant Wizard. He was voiced by Gary Chalk. King Hippo also appeared in the comic books based on the Captain N series, as a Hasbro Action Figure, as an Applause action figure, and in a Topps trading card series.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- If King Hippo was the star of Punch-Out!!, his size would completely hide his opponent from view. As it is, this big boxer can be defeated if you can just get him on the ground; he's unable to get back up under his own power. If you get through his defenses, you'll have him dreaming of his home on Hippo Island.
- NES - Punch-Out!! - 10/1987
- Wii - Punch-Out!! - 05/2009
- Main Article: King Hippo/Quotes
- "Do you like my new trunks? They are size XXX large! Ha ha ha!"
- "I feel like eating. After I win, let's go to lunch! Ha ha ha!"
- "I have my weakness. But I won't tell you! Ha ha ha!"
- "Ha ha ha! I'm the king! Ha ha ha!"