|Mario Super Sluggers|
North American box art
|Developer(s)|| Namco Bandai|
It was released in Japan on June 19, 2008, and in North America on August 25, 2008. This game was not released in Europe and Australia, due to baseball not being so popular there and its proximity to Mario Kart Wii. It was later re-released as a Nintendo Selects title, and the first game in the series to earn this title while being released in select countries.
Mario Super Sluggers features many improvements upon the original and introduces a multitude of modes, characters, and stages. A few new characters include various baby versions of developed characters (including Baby Peach, Baby Donkey Kong, and Baby Daisy), a host of Donkey Kong characters and even your own Mii, among others. The entire game takes place on the Baseball Kingdom, an island that centers completely around the sport the game is based on.
There is a new Chemistry mechanic that improves players performance if they work well together. When at bat, players with good chemistry can get items while in the field, players with good chemistry can get a buddy jump to stop home-runs or deep fly balls or buddy throws which are faster and slower throws. Bad chemistry can result in bad throws.
This is a story in which, the player use Mario & the captains to stop Bowser's takeover of Baseball Kingdom. Each captain has a different ability to use in the overworld which is used to progress and amass team members who are acquired by either by playing recruit challenges or satisfying their requests. The abilities in question are:
- Mario: Talking to plant life, such as flowers and hedges and being able to use Warp Pipes.
- Peach: Being able to interact with things such as tree stumps, water, and etc. to make characters appear.
- Yoshi: Being able to use Manholes and Ground Pound the ground by trees to make characters come out.
- Wario: Being able to pick up metal things with his magnet and open treasure chests.
- Donkey Kong: Being able to climb vines and smash wooden barrels and crates.
This is a returning multiplayer mode from Mario Superstar Baseball. One player is at bat, and the rest are in the field with the goal being to hit the ball to earn the most coins. The fielding players want to get the ball and get to bat and earn coins. Striking with give coins to the fielders.
For each stadium, there is a minigame.
- Bob-omb Derby
- Wall Ball
- Piranha Panic
- Gem Catch
- Barrel Basher
- Ghost K
- Blooper Baserun
- Graffiti Runner
- Bowser Pinball
- Baby Mario
- Baby Luigi
- Baby Peach
- Baby Daisy
- Baby Donkey Kong
- Dixie Kong
- Tiny Kong
- Funky Kong
- King K. Rool
- Koopa Troopa*
- Hammer Bro
- Dry Bones*
- King Boo
- Petey Piranha
- Shy Guy*
- Monty Mole
Note: Veteran team players are available at the start while new team players must be unlocked to use them.
These are the teams that are formed by each captain in Challenge Mode.
- Mario Fireballs: Mario, Luigi, Blue Pianta, Red Pianta, Yellow Pianta, Blue Noki, Red Noki, Green Noki, Monty Mole, Blooper, Baby Mario Baby Luigi
- Peach Monarchs: Peach, Daisy, Red Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, Green Toad, Purple Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Petey Piranha
- Yoshi Eggs: Yoshi, Birdo, Shy Guy, Blue Shy Guy, Yellow Shy Guy, Green Shy Guy, Gray Shy Guy, Red Yoshi, Blue Yoshi, Yellow Yoshi, Light Blue Yoshi, Pink Yoshi, Wiggler
- DK Wilds: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Tiny Kong, Baby DK, Kritter, Blue Kritter, Red Kritter, Brown Kritter, King K. Rool
- Wario Muscles: Wario, Waluigi, Boo, King Boo, Koopa, Red Koopa, Paratroopa, Green Paratroopa, Goomba, Paragoomba
- Bowser Monsters: Bowser, Bowser Jr., Hammer Bro, Fire Bro, Boomerang Bro, Dry Bones, Green Dry Bones, Dark Bones, Blue Dry Bones, Magikoopa, Red Magikoopa, Green Magikoopa, Yellow Magikoopa