Metroid is a series of video games that debuted with the Nintendo Entertainment System sidescroller Metroid (video game) on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1986. The initial game was created by Game Boy creator Gunpei Yokoi and would spawn a multitude of sequels on various consoles. The original titles were sidescrollers that infused an exploration aspect and shooting elements. All of the games star Samus Aran - the first female human protagonist in all of video gaming. The primary antagonists of the series are the Space Pirates.
In all there are ten video games, the most recent of which is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, the final installment in the popular Prime series of video games that strays away from the sidescrolling aspects though retains the overall Metroid theme that makes the series so popular. In all, the series has sold a total of over 16 million copies, with each new game earning a reasonable score (the highest rated overall are Super Metroid and Metroid Prime with a score of 96% on Gamerankings.com).
The series also includes a manga and a possible live action movie, though the latter is currently not confirmed. Multiple action figures have been created as well.
List of official games
- Metroid - Nintendo Entertainment System/FDS (1986)
- Metroid II: The Return of Samus - Game Boy (1991)
- Super Metroid - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1994)
- Metroid Fusion - Game Boy Advance (2002)
- Metroid Prime - Nintendo GameCube (2002)
- Metroid: Zero Mission - Game Boy Advance (2004)
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Nintendo GameCube (2004)
- Metroid Prime Pinball - Nintendo DS (2005)
- Metroid Prime Hunters - Nintendo DS (2006)
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii (2007)
- New Play Control! Metroid Prime - Wii (Japan Only, 2009)
- New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Wii (Japan Only, 2009)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii (2009)
- Metroid: Other M - Wii (2010)
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Nintendo 3DS (2016)