Miiverse is a Nintendo Network service. Your user account must be linked to a Nintendo Network account in order for you to use it. The service will be available on future consoles from Nintendo as well, as Miiverse is a future project.
It has been announced on 29th of August 2017 that the Miiverse-services will discontinue entirely on November 7th, 2017.
Nintendo Network/Miiverse users have profiles instead of friend code (used on the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS). Users can send friend requests, follow people, view a person's Miiverse posts, view a person's friends, and view who is following a person + who a person is following.
Communities are where users can post things in Miiverse. There are currently 4 types of communities.
- Game + Application Communities - Posts related to a certain game.
- Private Communities - Private Miiverse communities.
- News Communities - News posts.
- Developer's Room Communities + Announcement Communities - Posts from official Nintendo staff or developers of a game.
User communities will be added in a future update, according to Nintendo.
Posts and Sharing
With Miiverse, you can currently post these to communities:
- Typed Comments - Comments typed using the Wii U GamePad.
- Drawings + Artwork - Comments or artwork drawn with the Wii U GamePad or Nintendo 3DS.
- YouTube Videos - YouTube videos can be shared with Miiverse through Mario Kart 8, and previously through the YouTube community.
- Screenshots - If you press the Home button while in a game/app, you can share a screenshot of that game/app. You cannot share screenshots in an online lobby or game, as the Home menu cannot be accessed while playing multiplayer.
Users can "Yeah" or "Unyeah" (Like/Dislike) posts from other users and view other users that yeahed the post.
Instant messages or personal messages can be sent to users on your friend list on Miiverse by tapping "Messages".
Your friend list can be viewed at any time by pressing the Home button and selecting "Friend List". Once there, you can view your friends and their status, see if your friends have played any games with you, view friend requests, register friends, or change friend list settings.
When a notification has been received, the Home button will flash. You can access the notifications menu by pressing the notifications icon on the Home menu.
WaraWara Plaza IntegrationNintendo eShop.
On December 9, 2013, a new update to the 3DS abruptly introduced Miiverse without any announcement. This Miiverse acts the same as it's Wii U counterpart, with a few minor differences. The same Nintendo Network ID may be used on the Nintendo 3DS version if a Nintendo 3DS owner has previously purchased a Wii U and made a Nintendo Network ID on there beforehand.
Miiverse for Browsers and Application
On April 24, 2013, Nintendo launched Miiverse for browsers, smartphones, and other devices. It is still in beta. To login, you will need to enter your Nintendo Network credentials.
Wii U and 3DS game developers can integrate Miiverse into their games. In New Super Mario Bros. U , users can use Miiverse to comment on different courses or levels. New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land and Resident Evil: Revelations Wii U were among the first games to integrate Miiverse functionality, but many more followed after. Pokemon Art Academy was the first 3DS game to directly incorporate Miiverse functionality by sharing drawings.
As the latest Wii U update note said that, it has been entirely confirmed by Tom on 29th of August, 2017 that the Miiverse-services will come to an end on November 7th, 2017.
With the launch of Miiverse, there was a leak with a list of temporary titles to games upcoming for the systems. It had a few Nintendo 3DS titles which led to 3DS Miiverse as well as some a couple Nintendo titles being leaked. The titles were:
- Super Mario WiiU (Either New Super Mario Bros. U or Super Mario 3D World)
- metroid (Likely Metroid for the NES)
- Zombie (ZombiU)
- Yoshi's Land WiiU (What would become Yoshi's Woolly World)
- Flipnote Studio (Flipnote Studio 3D)
- Donkey Kong (Likely Donkey Kong for the NES)
- Wii Fit (Wii Fit U )
- Soul Hackers (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers)
- resident evils (Likely Resident Evil: Revelations)
- metal gear solid (Likely Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D)
- Final Fantasy 3 (Likely Final Fantasy 3 for the NES)
- Dragon Quest 10 (Dragon Quest X)
Nintendo later on patched out access to the debug menu.
One of the few problems with Miiverse is the adult users. Nintendo tried to address this issue through multiple ways: there is a system where if the drawing box recognizes the shape of a genital, it will not allow you to post the drawing, and most bad words are banned from being used. Moderation later checks and removes foul imagery.
There was also an issue where outside images could be posted on Miiverse for a while. They were restricted to the 3DS Miiverse but a games' communities did have to be restricted until it was fixed.