Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Nintendo R&D4 is a development group given to Shigeru Miyamoto in 1984 after he proved he can consistently produce excellent games. Though they didn't have as many resources as Nintendo R&D1, R&D4 also focused on developing NES games. They ended up creating Nintendo's two most enduring franchises: Mario and Zelda.
Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo, rewarded Shigeru Miyamoto his own development studio after proving himself with the Donkey Kong video games and Mario Bros. Takashi Tezuka joined Shigeru Miyamoto in creating the R&D4 games, almost all of which were composed by Koji Kondo. They made a great team and to this day still work together.
All of their video games were released on the Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Donkey Kong - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Donkey Kong 3 - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Donkey Kong Jr. - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Mario Bros. - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Mario Bros. - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Mario Bros. 3 - Nintendo Entertainment System
- The Legend of Zelda - Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom Disk System
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Nintendo Entertainment System
Three of Nintendo veterans became video game superstars due to their work at Nintendo R&D4. They include:
| || || ||The best known of the three, Shigeru Miyamoto created the arcade Mario and Donkey Konggames and directed most of the main games that R&D4 created.||Co-directed games within the Mario and Zelda series, Tezuka is best known for later solely directing the Mario and Zeldatitles on the SNES.||The composer for the R&D4 video games, Koji Kondo has created some of the most memorable songs in all of video games.|