The Paper Mario series consists of three Mario RPG's that have been released on every Nintendo console since the Nintendo 64 with the debut of Paper Mario. The sequel, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, was released for the GameCube, Super Paper Mario, was released on the Wii and the most recent Paper Mario: Sticker Star for the Nintendo 3DS. The third in the series is a mixture of both RPG mechanics and platforming mechanics, with more of an emphasis on the latter.
- Paper Mario - 2000, Nintendo 64
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2004, GameCube
- Super Paper Mario - 2007, Wii
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2012, Nintendo 3DS (first handheld game)
- Paper Mario: Color Splash - 2016, Wii U
- Paper Mario - 1.38 million
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2.05 million
- Super Paper Mario - 2.49 million (best selling)
- Paper Mario : Sticker Star - 2.21 million
As the above shows, each new game in the series has sold more than the previous untill Sticker Star. It is unknown if this tradition will continue if the franchise does. It is thought that the original didn't sell very well due to the fact that it was released so late in the Nintendo 64's lifespan.
The Paper Mario has been referenced in two of the Super Smash Bros. games including Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The references were nothing more than cameos, but they included:
- Super Smash Bros. Melee - There was a Paper Mario trophy available.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - There were various trophies from the series, mostly Super Paper Mario, available. Some stickers were also included.
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U - There are some trophies available.
- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - A crossover with the Mario & Luigi series