The Paper Mario series consists of three Mario RPG's that have been released on every Nintendo console since the Nintendo 64 with the debut of Paper Mario. The sequel, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, was released for the GameCube while the most recent, Super Paper Mario, was released on the Wii. The third in the series is a mixture of both RPG mechanics and platforming mechanics, with more of an emphasis on the latter.
- Paper Mario - 2000, Nintendo 64
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2004, GameCube
- Super Paper Mario - 2007, Wii
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2012, Nintendo 3DS (first handheld game)
- Paper Mario - 1.38 million
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2.05 million
- Super Paper Mario - 2.49 million (best selling)
As the above shows, each new game in the series has sold more than the previous. It is unknown if this tradition will continue if the franchise does. It is thought that the original didn't sell very well due to the fact that it was released so late in the Nintendo 64's lifespan.
The Paper Mario has been referenced in two of the Super Smash Bros. games including Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The references were nothing more than cameos, but they included: