Hi! I'll be posting important GDC 2011 news here on this blog post. Iwata is giving the keynote address this year, but that's hardly the only thing to look forward to (but it is probably the most likely to bare some news on upcoming games). Speakers from Nintendo include:
- Satoru Iwata, performing the keynote address entitled Video Games Turn 25: A Historical Perspective and Vision for the Future.
- Hideki Konno, giving a session entitled Development Process of Nintendo 3DS
- Kensuke Tanabe from Nintendo and Will Bate, Ryan Powel, Aaron Walker, Bryan Walker, Michael Kelbaugh, and Chris Voellmann from Retro Studios giving a session entitled DONKEY KONG: Swinging Across Oceans.
The news from each event will be posted in their respective section.
Video Games Turn 25
Really great show, probably the best GDC Nintendo showing ever.
- Netflix announced for 3DS.
- The ability to create 3D videos announced. Will be released through a firmware update.
- GameGear and TurboGrafx games announced for 3DS Virtual Console (CALLED IT!).
- 3D remakes of classic video games announced too. Will be available through digital distribution (which we all expected).
- A new Super Mario game for 3DS announced. Four images revealed. Game being developed by EAD Tokyo (Galaxy series, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Flipnote Studio). Logo features a tail like in Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Plans for a 25th anniversary celebration of Zelda announced. No game confirmed but I'd say it's likely.
- New Skyward Sword trailer revealed.
DONKEY KONG: Swinging Across Oceans
- Monster Games is revealed to be the developer of Pilotwings Resort. We've known that the game was being created by an American developer for sometime now due to the Australian game rating board's confirmation that it was developed in the US, but most assumed that it was Nintendo Software Technology. People should really be excited about this announcement considering that Monster Games developed the excellent Excite games on Wii and WiiWare.