Wii MotionPlus was an accessory that was placed in the extension port at the bottom of the Wii Remote; however, the Nunchuk could still be used. Wii MotionPlus supplements the accelerometer and Sensor Bar, and allows for more precise actions to be replicated ingame.The accessory came packaged with Wii Sports Resort, though the player could purchase them separately as well. Once attached, the device didn't need to be removed to play original Wii games. They were eventually succeeded by the Wii Remote Plus, which contains MotionPlus technology but doesn't require the accessory.
It was announced on July 14, 2008, a day before Nintendo's E3 2008 press conference. During the conference, they showed off the device along with Wii Sports Resort, a game the accessory would come packaged with. Also accompanying the device is a longer Wii Remote jacket so that it covers both the remote and the Wii MotionPlus.
During the E3, Wii Sports Resort producer Katsuya Eguchi explained that Nintendo could possibly in the future create Wii Remotes with this funcionality already built into it.
Development on the Wii MotionPlus started directly after development on the regular Wii Remote was finished, according to global Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.
- Wii Sports Resort - The first game to use Wii MotionPlus. Wii MotionPlus came packaged with the game.
- Red Steel 2 - Ubisoft's sequel to Red Steel fixed many of the problems present in the original. A bundle was released alongside the game that included Wii MotionPlus.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Came bundled with a gold Wii Remote Plus, and received critical acclaim.
- FlingSmash - First game to come bundled with a Wii Remote Plus.
- Wii Play: Motion
- Crazy Mini Golf 2
- Academy of Champions
- All Star Karate
- Backyard Sports : Sandlot Sluggers
- Conduit 2
- Deca Sports 3
- The Garfield Show: Threat of the Space Lasagna
- Grand Slam Tennis
- Hooked! Again: Real Motion Fishing
- James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
- New Carnival Games
- NewU Fitness First Mind Body, Yoga & Pilates Workout
- NHL 2K10
- NHL 2K11
- Racquet Sports
- Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage
- Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time
- SpongeBob's Truth or Square
- The Grinder
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
- Tron: Evolution - Battle Grids
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Virtua Tennis 2009
- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- Zumba Fitness
- Rage of the Gladiator
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
- Nintendo Land (Required for some games)
- Wii Sports Club
At once The Conduit had Wii MotionPlus features in it, according to High Voltage Software's Eric Nofsinger, though the end result felt like too much of a gimmick. Nevertheless, they explained that it may be used for a future sequel.