Wii would like to play was an advertising campaign by Leo Burnett for Nintendo to promote their Wii console. It was used for various Nintendo video games and for the console itself. The commercials were directed by Stephen Gaghan, an Academy and Emmy award winning director. The song played during all of the commercials was "Kodo (Inside the Sun Remix)". The advertising campaign cost $200 million dollars alone in 2006, more than most high budget summer movies. The commercial was played on the following television channels: ABC, NBC, Comedy Central, BET, USA, TBS, Discovery, Animal Planet, ABC Family, Nickelodeon (Nick at Nite), Sci-Fi, TLC, Fox, The CW, MTV 10 Spot, MTV, MTV2, MTVU, Cartoon Network (Adult Swim), Fuse, Si TV, The N, VH-1 and Black Family Channel. The campaign would go on to win the 2008 Effie Award for New Product or Service.
The advertising campaign was used for several video games in addition to the hardware. Video game commercials that used the campaign include Wii Sports, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Madden NFL 07, Excite Trucks, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- The commercial first aired during ABC's Dancing with the Stars program. It was a four part series.
- In one day, the YouTube video of the commercial that Nintendo uploaded received 670,000 views, becoming the most viewed video of the day.
- After thirty six hours of being on YouTube, over 800,000 people watched the commercial that Nintendo uploaded.
References to NintendoEdit
Several references to Nintendo's classic franchises can be found hidden in the commercial. They include:
- On the car the two men drive in the commercials, there is a Bullet Bill (artwork from New Super Mario Bros.) plastered on the side.
- In the first commercial, a Triforce is seen on a sign when the two men drive from one house to another.
- In the skyscraper scene in the first commercials, the people living there have a painting with Fire Flowers on it.
- In the farm scene, Mario Mushrooms can be seen on the ground.